Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Good Weekend and a Busy Week

Well, it is officially VERY COLD here. We had been having some really nice weather for January, but over the weekend it turned bitterly cold with single digit temps and then yesterday it started snowing off and on all day. Not so much fun since I had to drive up to Punxy for dinner with John. But, we made it...more about that later.

We had a really good weekend. Saturday, we went to Monroeville, which is about an hour SW of Indiana. We were pleasantly surprised to find a really good mall there as well as some really nice restaurants. There are not a whole lot of places to shop or sit down restaurants in Indiana so it was nice to spend the day wandering around. We actually went there to go to Sam's, which is John's favorite store :-), and we ended up having a really great little road trip. We walked around the mall, which actually has an Orange Julius, Chick-fil-a and a Kirklands....all of which I associate with mall shopping. Our mall in Indiana does not have these things, so now we know where to go to get our Chick-fil-a fix. :-) We went to lunch and Office Max and then headed home. Sunday was a nice and relaxing day. We had over one of John's classmates for dinner. She lives right up the street from us and she and John are going to carpool to school. This is a great answer to prayer as it will save on gas money and wear and tear on the car. We were both off Monday for a holiday and just spent the day working around the house and getting John more organized for school.

Yesterday, we both headed off to school and work anticipating a great day. And it was a great day....but it started snowing. Now, those of you who know me well know that I do not enjoy driving in snowy conditions. This would not have been a big deal except that I was supposed to make the 45 minute drive to Punxutawney, where John is in school, to enjoy a fine dining experience with he and some of his classmates. I had really been looking forward to this so that I could meet some of his classmates.....but it started snowing....So, I watched the snow fall off and on all day yesterday. It wasn't too bad, and I was determined to get to Punxy. The road were really slushy. Some of them were cleared pretty well, some of them were not. I went about 40 mph the whole way. It took me almost an hour to get there, but I made it and didn't hit any deer or skid off the road, so I felt good about that. We enjoyed a really good dinner at "Mary's Place" and then made the return journey. I followed John the whole way home, so that was a little easier. :-) It ended up being a really nice evening and we had some great food!

We have a busy week ahead of us with school and work. Pray for John. He is not in the kitchen this block and his classes are very challenging. If he can make it through the next two weeks, I think he'll fly through the rest of the semester! I'll talk to you later...

4 comments:

britt said...

Well, it sounds like things are going well for you there. I had not idea how to read the extended version of Punxy, so I am glad you shortend it for me.:)
I will be praying for John. I am sure he will do just fine, but I know what he is going through. I am going to have a tough semester ahead as well. But I am way more focused on doing well this semester than last.
Love ya,
Britt

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going great! I really enjoy reading your updates. It feels like I am apart of a piece of your lives and that is great. Hope you have a WONEDERFUL week! :-)

Anonymous said...

lol... gotta love finding chic-fa-lays (sp?) we just got a new one in that new 29th street shopping center, so we're now 10 mins away from yummy chicken!! (mom love this a lot too!) but i'm glad you made it okay w/ the snow drivin'... i love hard weather drivin' its gives me a challenge! lol Love and miss ya! glad you liked my homecoming pics!

ttyl!
Brooke~

Beth said...

you need to update too!!!